So. This blog is going to get another dimension to it. I am going to institute a few lifestyle changes for myself. If my kids and hubby choose to come along that is great but it is their decision to make.
Why the changes? When I was pregnant with Diva I had gestational diabetes (GD). I saw that as my warning shot since it increases my chances of developing type 2 by 50%. I took measures to help decrease those chances. Diva is almost 2 and I have been told by my doctor that there are no signs of the big d on my horizon. Skip to last night. I went to urgent care because I suspected I had either strep or a sinus infection. My blood pressure was high. Not slightly elevated. Enough that the doctor told me to follow up with my primary about it.
Which leads to the lifestyle changes I want for myself. Starting today I am doing the following:
-No coffee. Tea yes. By the pot.
-Increasing my water intake
-Decrease drastically the amount of purchased products with white flour in them. If I want a white flour product I should make it myself. Removing the convenience historically has helped me cut back.
-Switching from ibuprofen to acetaminophen for over the counter pain relief. Apparently ibuprofen can elevate your blood pressure. Should be fun since it is the NSAID I was relying on for arthritis pain relief.
-Tracking my food intake. I use The Daily Plate at http://www.livestrong.com
Other changes I hope to make in the next month:
- Start up my daily yoga and tai chi practice
- Play the dance games for wii with my children
-Resume my bellydance practice. I don't aim to perform. Middle eastern dance happens to be one of my top 5 favorite exercises.
- Get in a good swim work out at least 3 times a month.
- Have a 4 oz glass of wine with dinner. May have to stay with vintages from home since not only is the state of Virginia known for backward conservative politics but also having mostly swill for vintages.
- Have a small quantity of dark chocolate, 70% cocoa or more, each day.
- Cut back the amount of food I eat out. I realize this is unavoidable on trips. The aim is to eat mostly homemade when not away. Example: Bring my own snacks when out for the day with the family. When I am on trips I will aim for a more paleo diet but include dairy.
Why blog about this in public? I feel that it commits me to adhering to it if I state in a forum where anyone can read about my plans.
I'm strapping myself in. Let's see where this journey takes me.