Friday, September 28, 2012

Forks Over Knives: Conversion Day 1

I watched "Forks Over Knives" this week. I had been vegetarian for 6 years in junior high and high school. My reason for never going fully vegan was 3 fold. I want to be able to travel and being completely vegan, especially whole food plant based, would make that difficult. I was worried about bone density issues. My maternal grandmother lost height due to this before she passed away. And. I have found Vegan politics obnoxious.

"Forks Over Knives" presented research based evidence that eating a plant based whole foods diet will not cause bone density issues. In fact their evidence seems to indicate that the opposite may be true.

Starting today I am going to attempt to adopt a mostly plant based whole foods diet. I will allow myself to eat dairy one day a week, meat 1 day a week. Why keep the meat & dairy? This is for ease of travel. I do not want to develop a lactose intolerance. Similarly I want my body to remain accustomed to processing meat.

My issues with Vegan politics are side stepped by referring to this diet change as a plant based diet. Additionally many vegan recipes are not whole foods oriented. I am adopting this way of eating for health reasons and eating minimally processed foods is a key component to this path.

Note: I am not taking my husband or my children with me on this journey. Obviously they have the option of eating what I am eating but I consider this change a choice. I will continue to keep animal protein and dairy on their menu. The shift they will see is away from an American way of eating ,in other words meat as the main course, to a more global way of eating, or meat as a side dish and veg/grain as the main course.

So. Here I am on day 1. Will it be a cake walk? No. Will I feel better in the long run? I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment